Carlisle is the excellent citadel city at the west end of the Scottish Border. Roman Luguvallium grew up in the darkness of Hadrian’s Wall as well as some vestige of the community remained when William II captured it in 1092. William repopulated Carlisle with Anglo-Norman inhabitants and founded the great imperial castle on a bluff over the River Eden.
Carlisle Castle is a remarkable reminder of centuries of quarrel. It sits grim and squat at the north end of the old walled city, still a medieval stronghold but much patched up after the several batterings it has withstood. The layout is about triangular, comprising 2 walled baileys yet no motte. The curtain walls are basically Norman. 2 flanking towers endure on the west side but the wall surfaces are or else rather simple. Throughout the Civil War the Scot’s took down the sanctuary nave to fix the damage functioned throughout the siege.
The external gatehouse encountering the city, referred to as Ireby’s Tower, dates from Henry III’s reign but is not a fantastic instance of armed forces planning. It includes 2 square blocks curiosly off of placement with each various other, as well as a tiny forecast between them including the entrance. Gloomy barracks currently inhabit the external bailey – a pointer of the continual armed forces presence right here to modern-day times.
In front of the internal gatehouse is one of Henry VIII’s additions – a semi-circular weapon battery with a protected fighting gallery dealing with the ditch. Throughout the intrusion scare of the 1540s, Henry thickened the inner drape to support weapons. The wide parapet is partially carried on arcades and there is a ramp for wheeling up cannon. Within the internal bailey climbs a terrific maintain, which is essentially a dice. The keep is freestanding though extremely near to the curtain. As was initially developed, each of its four stories consists of a single huge room.